Religious architecture

SAINT ROCH CHAPEL

http://buhllorraine.free.fr/page55.htm
SAINT ROCH CHAPEL

"La Maladrerie" (leprosarium) is a place located between Sarrebourg and Réding where a chapel dedicated to Saints Wendelin, Lazare and Roch was erected. This gothic style building had to be fixed in 1842. On August 16th, pilgrims prey Saint Roch for protection. The Teutonic knights established a preceptory in 1222 in Sarrebourg: a leprosarium was built nearby. Infected people were excluded from society, had to dress with specific clothes and were taking care of by religious men. A major leprosy epidemic took place between the 12th and the 13th Century. It finally disappeared during the 17th Century. The King of France donated the chapel to the hospital of Sarrebourg.

Informations complémentaires

  • Pratique de l'activité : Outdoor
  • Conditions of visit (individuals) : Tour of exterior only
jours et horaires d'ouverture
Localisation
rue de Strasbourg
57400 SARREBOURG
    Météo
    Aujourd'hui
    matin 10°
    après-midi 13°
    Demain
    matin 10°
    après-midi 13°
    Après-demain
    matin 10°
    après-midi 13°
    coups de coeur